Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Great Day--Wednesday--February 23

Today has been a wonderful blessed day.  God has been such a huge part of our fabulous day. The day began with Jacque's swallow test being scheduled for 8 a.m. this morning.  I was a little worried because Jacque's mornings are not as good as his afternoons.  Then the speech therapist came in and said the test was reset for 1:30 p.m.  Praise God.  Well 1:30 came and no test, 2:00 p.m. came and no test, 2:45 came and finally a knock on the door.  But instead of it being the people to do the swallow test , it was an elderly man. He was a Eucharistic Minister and  was bringing communion to Catholics .  He wanted to know if Jacque and I wanted communion.  Of course we said yes.  The man gave us communion and prayed with us.  There is no way I can put it into words, except to say it was very emotional.  The man left and Jacque said, "What a gift from God, there is no way I am going to fail that swallow test.  Immediately after the man left, the speech therapist and the people with the xray machine came in and you know the rest of the story---Jacque passed his swallow test.  He was so excited.  I cried and he grinned from ear to ear.  He immediately sent me to Pizza Hut for a large thin crust cheese pizza.  While I was gone, he went to therapy.  During therapy he took his first steps, four, then six and then six more. Now of course this is with a lot of help and he used the parallel bars--but hey--we will take what we can get. When I got back he shared his good news, then he proceeded to eat all of the pizza except for three pieces. Then he had a piece of cheese cake for dessert. Following his feast, he enjoyed an evening filled with visitors, phone calls, and surprises.  My sister Terri and her husband Jim came for a visit and brought a "heart gift" .  In the Spatafora Family we always give "heart gifts", which simply means. it is something sentimental.  Terri brought Jacque a small stufffed monkey that used to belong to my daddy.  The monkey was my dad's when he was in the hospital with a broken hip.  We all called it his "good luck monkey".  I cried, it was so special.  It was like my daddy saying--everything is going to be OK. Bridgette Bartlett also came by.  She brought a bundle of cards from the teachers and students of Atlanta High School, where I teach. I miss them all so much.  It is so much fun teaching there, they are all so special to me. It is a great place to teach. Some friends from Olla,  Nicki and Dennis Baum ,then stopped by for a short visit.  They shared stories about our grandbabies.  Jacque also enjoyed a day of phone calls from family and friends.  He talked to the girls in his office.  They are such a wonderful group of women. He always says he has the best office in the world.  Lee Wood, an old high school buddy, even called.  He was excited to hear from him.  I even got to speak to some of my friends too. Julie Boatman spoke on the phone and told me she is saying two rosaries a day for Jacque. Praise God.  Jacque even got a  beautiful hunting and fishing basket filled with goodies from one of his old exercise buddies Kelly Lawrence. So as you can see, we have had a GREAT DAY.  Please continue to pray for us.  I know we would not be doing as great as we are, had it not been for your prayers. Thank you, thank you.  God bless and good-night.  Love--Laure

No comments:

Post a Comment